Unknown facts about Aloe Vera

Unknown facts about Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is one of Nature’s best gifts to mankind.

Predominantly used in Ayurveda, aloe vera is well known for its ability to treat ailments. So significant is its versatility in medicine, that its benefits have been extensively researched across cultures, from the Chinese, Greeks, American Indians, Egyptians, Mesoamericans, to of course, Indians. 

This spiky-green plant is a wonderful addition to any home, and can also be used for decorative purposes. But medicinally, it has many hidden secrets you’d be surprised to find out.

So, why is it called Aloe Vera?

Aloe is derived from the Arabic phrase “alloeh”, which means "glowing bitter material", and "vera" is derived from the Latin term veritas, which signifies "truth." The juice from the entire processed leaf is super bitter. The inner fillet of the leaf's lotion is much milder and more pleasant.

How is it used?

Aloe vera produces two types of substances: latex and gel, and both of them have a variety of medicinal uses. The clear, gelatinous substance found in the inner layer (inner fillet) of the aloe plant leaves is known as aloe gel. Aloe latex is yellowish and emerges from just beneath the plant's skin. Some aloe products have both gel and latex because they are created out of the whole crushed leaf.

Were there any famous Aloe Vera users?

Yes! Did you know that THE Cleopatra herself applied aloe vera gel regularly on her body? Aloe Vera has the power to penetrate all three layers of the skin, and its nutrients can be absorbed by the bloodstream. The Egyptian queen was known for her immaculate beauty, and we’d definitely bet this fleshy green succulent had a role to play in it.

What does it do?

While aloe vera is pretty much water (how’s 99.5% for starters?), the remaining 0.5% is solid and known to have most of the active nutrients within it. 

These nutrients are known to help wounds heal by increasing the circulation of blood to the affected area. They can increase the White Blood Cells (the soldiers of your body’s immune system), and help strengthen your body from the inside. It’s also known to have cooling characteristics similar to menthol. You can use aloe vera soaps on cuts, scrapes or itchy insect bites.

So how do I get my fix?

All in all, aloe vera is an effective ingredient to keep your body and skin protected and well-nourished. For starters, you can try Haeal’s Aloe Vera Soap, Lotion or Hand Wash, and begin your journey towards a healthy life. Browse our range now!


Back to blog